Friday, August 1, 2008

A FaMiLy LegAcY

Harley's Garage closed its doors yesterday for the last time. After 62 years of business, the garage is closed. There are many memories held in the shop, the aisles of the parts room and even the office. I can remember as a teenager being asigned to cleaning the restrooms. It was always an awful chore, no matter how much we cleaned and mopped those things there was still a layer of dirt every where. We always seemed to get ourselves into trouble when we played in the office and got into things we weren't supossed to. If ever there was a problem with any of our cars, no problem, just drop it off, Dad would take care of it. Since my Dad died, my Mom has been running the business on her own. It was a tough decision for Mom to make after Dad died whether she was going to continue with the business or look for another road. She decided to stick with it as it seemed like the right thing to do to continue the family business. It has been almost two and a half years since Dad died. It has been pretty hard on Mom. It is a lot of work for one person to handle and business just isn't what it used to be. It is sad to see the family business closing its doors but Mom just can't do it any more. She is tired and it really takes its toll on her. She will be taking some time for herself now and doing a little vacationing before she dives into looking for a new job.






8 comments:

'T' said...

Amy- What a great tribute. Good luck to your family, and GOOD FOR YOUR MOM for vacationing! She deserves it and all the happiness in the world. Take care, TINIEL

Sher said...

Wow, I did not know that, but just asked Wil and he said, "Oh, yeah..." Best of luck to your Mom in her adventures!

Amanda said...

wow.. that is crazy. That shop has been there as long as I can remember (obviously??) but, that is awesome for your mom, good for her! and congrats on baby #4, I just saw that on the side!! That's exciting.
(hope you don't mind me checkin your blog every now and then :)

Kendra said...

Congrats on the new baby! That is so exciting! Best of luck to your mom and family!

katie said...

Wow thats crazy! It will be alot different with out that there. Good for your mom! I hope she has a fun vacation!

tam said...

Congratulations on baby #4! I agree with what has been said, it was a great tribute you gave! I hope for the best for your mom!

The Martinsen Family said...

Steven and Amy and Fam, I was lookign around on other blogs and I ran across your blog and decided to drop a note. I hope you are okay with that. Congrats on #4. You will make up for us. I think we will stop at 1 J/K Hopefully your mom will survive without having to go to work everyday. What will she do with herself? I hope all is well with you guys and the fam. Drop a line on our blog and I will keep updated on yours.
Ben, Jenn and Taiz Martinsen

Michelle said...

oh my goodness! ya, it will be weird to go back to Mesquite and not have that business up and running....it was always there--right across the street from where I lived when I was little. But I totally understand the decision made by your mom...she is awesome for working so hard the past 2 1/2 years to keep it open.