Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yes...we are alive...

In the hospital in Mesquite
In the NICU at UMC
At home
(1 week old)


We just had to take a little time off to welcome in a new member of our family. Iken Jay Tobler was born last Thursday, February 19th, 2009. Weighing in at 7 pounds 6 ounces and 21 and a half inches long. He of course had to make his entrance interesting and was born with the cord very tightly around his neck. So tight that the doctor had to stop and cut the cord before he could be fully delivered. The cord was also wrapped around one of his feet. Other than that, the delivery was normal except for the fact that my fluid level was high and I had a lot of fluid which is what cause him to be able to get tangled in the cord. This poor little guy has had a rough go at it for his first week. While still in the hospital he began throwing up bile after about every other feeding. The pediatrician wasn't able to find any blockage or obstruction but felt he needed further testing that they could not perform in Mesquite. So, at less than 24 hours old, he had his first ride in an ambulance as a NICU team came from UMC hospital in Las Vegas to pick him up in Mesquite. He had an IV and a tube in his nose down to his stomach that was sucking out all the mucousy stuff. I was released from the hospital just 16 hours after he was born so that I could travel with Steven to Vegas to be with the baby. All of the necessary tests were performed on Friday after he arrived at the NICU at UMC. All of which showed no signs of blockages or obstructions. The only problem found was a meconium block that was cleared from his system. Even though they found the problem that day, he still spent four and a half days in the NICU. It was a long and drawn out step by step process to get his feedings up to a big enough amount so that we could bring him home. They had to monitor him closely to make sure that he could digest the formula and that he could also keep it down. He has had no problems with throwing up since that first day. We were finally able to bring him home on Tuesday night. It was very hard on all of us having him finally here but not able to have him home with us. Steven and I travelled back and forth from Vegas several times to be able to spend time with the girls and be in Vegas for the baby. My Aunt Dorlene was nice enough to let us stay with her and my sister Sally was awesome and watched the girls most of the time. They also spent a couple of days with Grandma and Grandpa Tobler. Finally we have him home and he is healthy and doing fine. So far he is a very good baby and only fusses when he is ready to eat. His sisters are so happy to have him here. They are wanting to hold him at all times. They are all so very helpful. It has been a roller coaster of a ride this past week but finally we can all sleep in our own beds every night and get back to our routines and our lives.





13 comments:

Heather said...

He is beautiful! We had a similiar situation when Ashlyn was born and it was so hard. (She also had a meconium plug.) Glad to hear he is finally home and healthy!

Natalie said...

welcome home! congrats on his arrival and he is handsome. When Emily was born, she had stomache problems and would spit up after each feeding for a little while. she still had fluid in her tummy. I'm glad that he's doing better. what a beautiful family. Please let me know when he is blessed! Love you.

lindsey said...

congratulations amy! he is so cute! and I'm so glad he made it home from the hospital.

Jarred and Angelina said...

He is so stinkin' cute, and he has the best sisters that I'm sure will drive you crazy trying to help. Send them over anytime

Carrie said...

Congratulations! I'm glad he is home now. Emiley had the same problem. But we of course did not have to spend anytime in the NICU. Good luck with him and I hope he continues doing well. He looks just like Steve, by the way.

katie said...

What a cute baby! I am glad that he is doing good! Hope you can finally get back to a normal life! congradulations:)

Scott and Krista said...

Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you guys. I LOVE his name! He is so stinkin cute! I'm glad everything is ok now. That is a scary thing to go through. I'm glad he is home now and all is well.

jen and brody said...

Glad you have your whole family back together again. Hope you are getting rest and you've started training the girls to take care of everything around the house so you can take naps... He's just as good looking as the rest of your brood!

Tiffanie said...

He is so adorable! I am so happy to hear that things are getting more normal. I'm so happy for you guys!

Five Girls And A Guy said...

Congrats on your beautful baby boy. I love his name and I am so glad everything is ok.

Sher said...

Congratulations you guys, finally your little boy is home. So glad all is well now, we look forward to seeing him in person!

amy said...

I am so glad he made it home and everything is okay. He is adorable and looks just like the rest of the family. I'm sure your girls will be a very big help at taking care of him. Enjoy having a little boy in your home!

The land of Vegas said...

Boys always make things more difficult. Congratulations! He is a handsome one.